As I made my way through this week's videos and readings on Cyberbullying, I felt like I was a ping pong ball being bounced between two extremes…hopelessness and hopefulness. I felt emotional watching the PSA-type videos and reading about the prevalence of cyberbullying in Faucher et al. (2015). I cannot help but relate on a personal level to the target audience of many of the videos as a parent of a 13-year-old.
On a professional level, as someone who works in an elementary school library, I noted the majority of resources provided were geared toward adolescents and older age groups. Therefore, I felt inspired to look for materials I could use with younger students. I believe that education about digital citizenship needs to begin when children are first allowed access to technology, and realistically, we could begin teaching it in preschool. In the school system where I work, Kindergarteners are issued Chromebooks during the first month of school, and for the majority of children, it seems this is not their first experience online.
I have chosen to include resources about Digital Citizenship in my Digital Curation assignment. Here I will share some of the resources I have found thus far:
I felt like a lot.of the videos.were for an older audience as well. I also agree that teaching digital education at an early age is very important. I don't think we should wait until the kids have already been using the technology for several years. It is important to teach them early on that what they do online has consequences and they need to be good digital citizens.
ReplyDelete