Friday, July 8, 2022

Text to Speech Screen Readers



Text to Speech Readers have been a helpful tool for me throughout graduate school. However, I wish they had been available during and before undergrad. In third grade, I was diagnosed with Dyslexia and ADD - inattentive type. (Now, it is called ADHD, but in the 1980s, there was a different distinction between ADD and ADHD.) I currently have two different Text to Screen Readers loaded on my Chromebook and the iPhone app for one of them on my phone. In this blog, I will discuss my experience with these Text to Speech Screen Readers, including what I consider to be their strengths and weaknesses. 

Read & Write 

Read & Write is a Chromebook extension. I first learned of this extension when I started working as a Media Clerk in a school library in 2019 when I noticed that it was loaded on student Chromebooks. I found the extension via a Google search for "Read & Write extension". Here is the direct link to the Read & Write Chromebook extension. I added the free basic version to my Chromebook and pinned it to my browser toolbar. I primarily use Read & Write to read my writing aloud. Hearing my writing read aloud by a different voice helps me find errors and omissions. 

Additional features of Read & Write: 
  • Settings allow for adjustments in voice, language, and reading speed 
  • Allows the user to record their voice reading aloud and play it back 
Pros: 
  • Basic features are free Read aloud works on documents and websites 
  • Teachers can apply for a free Premium Account  
Cons: 
  • Voices are less natural-sounding 
  • Read aloud does not work for PDFs 
  • A large toolbar appears when the extension is in use 
  • Hover Speech setting is sensitive to mouse movements   


Natural Reader 

I uploaded the Text to Speech Reader extension for Natural Reader after uploading another free Chromebook extension, Read Aloud, first. I was looking for a screen reader that would read PDF files. I had been experiencing a lot of eye strain and fatigue symptoms reading the many web-based and PDF research articles that are required reading for graduate studies. 
I did not enjoy using Read Aloud. It was a free extension and easily accessed PDFs uploaded on my Chromebook. However, I found the robotic voices grating. Also, I was not fond of the large pop-up box that appeared when the extension was activated. Additionally, I was hoping to find an iPhone app that would allow me to listen to articles on my daily walks or during long car rides. So I searched for the "Best Screen Reader Apps" and found Natural Reader. 

Bingo! Natural Reader was just what I was looking for: a Chromebook extension and iPhone app with human-sounding voices. 

Pros: 
  • Chromebook extension and iPhone app access allow with one account 
  • Numerous read-aloud voice options  
  • Works for documents, webpages, and PDFs 
  • Smaller pop-up control panel (compared to Read & Write and Read Aloud)  
Cons: 
  • Free demo ends with a paywall after limited use (20min/day for Premium Voices) 

For me, paying for the upgrade from free to a premium subscription was easy. Natural Reader ticked all the boxes. 

There are many Text to Speech Screen Reader options for students of all ages, teachers, and other working professionals. I would advise trying several options and seeing which features work best for you and/or your students. 

Additional Resources 

1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed learning from your blog post! I have used Read & Write, but I hadn't used Natural Reader. I am definitely going to keep these two in my toolkit for my students. I think they would both be very beneficial. Thanks again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete