Reflection
One commonality I noted while reviewing the articles featured in Knowledge Quest (May/June 2019) was the idea of implementing the AASL standards while providing instruction that integrates student choice during LMS instruction. Most notably, M.L. O’Connor’s article provided a straightforward example of how one might give the students a choice board or “menu,” in this case, to encourage and allow students to explore various materials, presentation formats, and learning outcomes. In addition, O’Connor relates her successes in providing students with more choices.
This week, I also reflected on a recent conversation with my library mentor and coworker about how COVID protocols have impacted student choice and, more specifically, collaborative learning. We hope that in this coming school year, we will be able to introduce more collaborative activities in the library and will be able to let go of some of the adopted practices that have evolved over the past two years. This train of thought may also have been stoked by reading C. Gilstrap’s article and, most specifically, the Big Paper Silent Conversation activity (p35). Collaboration is key to engaging and elevating student learning and understanding.
The ISTE and AASL Standards Crosswalk was a welcome find in my search for resources to share on this post. There was a natural connection with J. Speiring’s article on engaging adolescent learners. Technology integration into middle and secondary educational instruction is a given at this point. Speiring encourages LMS professionals to constantly evaluate and consider their role in the “literacy culture” of the school (p49).
Additional Resources
References
O’Connor, M.L.C. (2019). Now serving: An appealing menu of digital literacy tools and resources. Knowledge Quest. 47(5). 16-21.
Gilstrap, G. (2019). The start of something new: A relationship between AASL standards framework for learners and IB approaches to learning. Knowledge Quest. 47(5). 30-36.
Speiring, J. (2019). Engaging adolescent literacies with the standards. Knowledge Quest. 47(5). 44-49.

I hope there are a lot of those kind of conversations taking place as we move closer to the 22-23 school year. I saw a growing trend of collaborative learning prior to the pandemic, especially where blended learning and station rotation were well-implemented. The AASL and ISTE standards reminded me of those "good ole days" and I hope we are headed back to them for everyone's sake! Like you pointed out, collaboration is a key ingredient for engagement. And the AASL and ISTE standards provide guidance for that and more. With our study of these, I feel like this charges us with the potential for our leadership in these efforts in the upcoming school year.
ReplyDeleteThe crosswalk is such a great resource to have at our fingertips. I was glad to see it as well and plan on printing it to have in my library. I think it's so important to continuously refer back to the standards to ensure
ReplyDelete